Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Brittany Fay, DEBUT: “When Daisies Bloom”

Some time ago a very good friend invited me to attend Brittany’s concert.  Out of curiosity I searched for Brittany on the web and was instantly impressed:

“My name is Brittany Fay Amsler. I am a singer-songwriter. I am a storyteller. It’s just that simple.”

“I found that the best way I express how I feel is by songwriting. That’s when my heart sings and my fingers dance.”


After viewing her website and listening to the songs from the debut album I ventured over to YouTube to watch her music videos.  What a surprise!  The Brittany Fay music videos show that this artist is not only a good singer but actress, creative director, film maker and producer.

Then I decided to contact Brittany about an interview for my blog. An interview……hmmmm…I thought to myself how would I describe Brittany to my blog friends?  The first words that came to mind were fresh, singer, cute, quirky and very spirited.  Then I thought, “Hello, why not let Brittany tell her own story!”

So, Brittany and I exchanged several emails and she graciously completed my interview questionnaire.  What I discovered is that this young lady is grounded, surrounded by a loving and supportive family and VERY talented.

Here are a few highlights from the interview:

For many of my readers this will be the first time that they will be reading about you so why not say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m a singer-songwriter, currently trying to pass my classes and graduate from Concordia University Irvine. I’ve been creating since I could remember, whether it be with pen and paper, glue and tape, paint and canvas, or camera and computer keyboard. Although I wasn’t interested in learning to play classical piano as a teen, I did enjoy composing my own music by ear. About four years ago, I combined my writing talents with my music, and discovered songwriting.
After eight months of labor and care, I will be releasing my debut album of eleven original songs to the public February 19th at my Senior Concert.

Do you have a Senior Project “Ah Ha” moment to share?
Yes. “Ah ha! I’ve bit off more than I can chew!”

Lightning round…all related to your music and creation of this album…..really brief answers please,
BIGGEST:
Surprise—the support
Challenge—the recording process
Frustration—the business
Fear—there’s a lot of them, but I’m constantly telling myself it’s God will, not mine.
Smile moment—the finished album
Fan—my Mom. Every time I would come home from the studio with another recorded track and play it for her, she would say, “Oh! That’s my favorite!” And I mean every time. Every song.

Lightning round #2……through Brittany’s eyes……one word,
FAVORITE:
Musical artist(s)? I listen to a lot of Ingrid Michaelson, Missy Higgins, Amos Lee, Jon McLaughlin, Adele, Sara Bareilles, Jason Reeves, Needtobreathe, oh the list goes on. I listen to alot of film composers too. Sorry, that wasn’t a one word answer. I’ll try harder.
Heals or sandals? Sandals
Color?  Green
Musical instrument (s)? There’s something about a cello that just melts my insides.
Pastime?  Yoga, reading and writing stories, barefoot running, cooking with friends
Pet? When I was little? Do Gigapets count? Or beany babies? Or furbies? Can you tell I grew up in the 90’s? I’m not doing so well with this whole one word answer thing, am I? 
Movie? If I’m ever sick, I’ll plop in Pride and Prejudice.
Food? I’ve been struggling with several food intolerances, so my variety is limited. I haven’t had a birthday cake for years, but this year I found a recipe online that is completely gluten free, lactose free, and uses beans instead of flour. I know, sounds gross. But it was delicious!!
Book series? Chronicles of Narnia

Your Debut album goes on sale this month.  How excited you are about that?
My whole senior year has been devoted to the production of this album. These songs tell a story about a part of my life when I was struggling against my worst symptoms, and how I finally found hope, joy and love. I’ve spent a lot of time and money designing the album artwork, including back stories for each song so the listener can follow my journey. So yes, I’m excited to share my work. I’m overflowing with excitement!

Well my friends, there’s much more to Brittany and her music and I hope to see as many of you as possible at her debut concert on February 19, 2012.  Then just think that someday you’ll be able to say, “I was at her debut concert………”


The complete interview, in her own words:

For many of my readers this will be the first time that they will be reading about you so why not say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m a singer songwriter, currently trying to pass my classes and graduate from Concordia University Irvine. I’ve been creating since I could remember, whether it be with pen and paper, glue and tape, paint and canvas, or camera and computer keyboard. Although I wasn’t interested in learning to play classical piano as a teen, I did enjoy composing my own music by ear. About four years ago, I combined my writing talents with my music, and discovered songwriting.
After eight months of labor and care, I will be releasing my debut album of eleven original songs to the public February 19th at my Senior Concert.
What brought you to music?
Two moments stand out.
One: My Dad telling us that no matter what instrument we wanted to play, we had to know how to play piano first.
Two: My Aunt Holly came to visit from Australia one year. She sat me down one evening, played guitar and sang songs from Joni Mitchell’s album, Blue. It was then that I learned there was more to music than most of the fluff I heard on the radio.
How do you go about the writing process (lyrics and music)?
I use a recorder. I usually get ideas while I’m driving. Or in the middle of class. Or when I’m grocery shopping. So I’ll record them and then revisit them later when I’m at the piano.

Let’s have some fun:
Lightning round…all related to your music and creation of this album…..really brief answers please:
Biggest surprise—the support
Biggest challenge—the recording process
Biggest frustration—the business
Biggest fear—there’s a lot of them, but I’m constantly telling myself it’s God will, not mine.
Biggest smile moment—the finished album
Biggest fan—my Mom. Every time I would come home from the studio with another recorded track and play it for her, she would say, “Oh! That’s my favorite!” And I mean every time. Every song.
Lightning round #2……through Brittany’s eyes……one word:
Favorite musical artist(s)?
I listen to a lot of Ingrid Michaelson, Missy Higgins, Amos Lee, Jon McLaughlin, Adele, Sara Bareilles, Jason Reeves, Needtobreathe, oh the list goes on. I listen to alot of film composers too. Sorry, that wasn’t a one word answer. I’ll try harder.
Heals or sandals? Sandals
Favorite color? Green
Favorite musical instrument (s)? There’s something about a cello that just melts my insides.
Favorite pastime?  Yoga, reading and writing stories, barefoot running, cooking with friends
Favorite pet? When I was little? Do Gigapets count? Or beany babies? Or furbies? Can you tell I grew up in the 90’s? I’m not doing so well with this whole one word answer thing, am I? 
Favorite movie? If I’m ever sick, I’ll plop in Pride and Prejudice.
Favorite food? I’ve been struggling with several food intolerances, so my variety is limited. I haven’t had a birthday cake for years, but this year I found a recipe online that is completely gluten free, lactose free, and uses beans instead of flour. I know, sounds gross. But it was delicious!!
Favorite book series? Chronicles of Narnia
Are you surprised by the business/marketing side of the business? Do you have a team in place?
Ha, no, I wish. I handle all the business/marketing/production myself. This is what takes up a lot of my time. It’s like another part time job.
Do you ever get stage fright? How do you deal with it?
I love performing and sharing my music so much that I can get a little too excited.  You can tell I’m excited if I’m talking fast, or my voice is quivering, or if I’m breathless. I don’t really get stage fright though. I wish I had a stage fright cure I could tell you, like jumping jacks while spinning in circles or drinking water upside down while humming the national anthem. But I got nothing.
What were some of the rules/guidelines for this Senior Project?
The student combines two or more art forms and presents their project at the end of their last semester.
I understand you might be the first Humanities major at Concordia to do a program like this? How does it feel to be opening doors for future artists?
I’m not sure if Concordia likes that I’m doing all this, but they seem to be tolerating it. Either that, or they are kind of confused why I’m doing such an extensive project. I think normally, students will just write a term paper and call it a day. Only Music majors have what they call “Senior Recitals.” Hopefully future Humanities majors will take this opportunity and do something that will help them in their career after graduation, whether it’s in the arts or not.
Do you have a Senior Project “Ah Ha” moment to share?
Yes. “Ah ha! I’ve bit off more than I can chew!”

Who came up with the video content and who produced/edited it?
I directed and edited Rainbows On My Shoulders. It was supposed to have a home-made video feel to it. But for Honey Harmony Bee, I worked with a film student named Hoku Brown. I came up with ideas, organized the shoots, drew out the story, and Hoku was in charge of filming and editing.
Your Debut album goes on sale this month.  How excited you are about that?
My whole senior year has been devoted to the production of this album. These songs tell a story about a part of my life when I was struggling against my worst symptoms, and how I finally found hope, joy and love. I’ve spent a lot of time and money designing the album artwork, including backstories for each song so the listener can follow my journey. So yes, I’m excited to share my work. I’m overflowing with excitement!
Do you have a favorite song on the album?  If so, which one and why?
Probably Rainbows On My Shoulders because that song marks the turning point in my healing process. I wasn’t feeling as weak anymore.
If you could change anything about the album what would it be?
I was crunched for time since I had to finish recording and mixing the master by December. But I feel like the imperfections have shaped this piano-vocal album into something more personal and relatable for the listener.
Tell us what we should expect at your debut concert on 2/19?
Pure skill from Kenny James Gohn on guitar, Howard McBride on bass, Paul Nguyen on piano, Stephen Amsler on drums, Robyn Marie Cornish on ukelele and back up vocals, and Gretchen Sheetz on backup vocals. It’s one thing to write music by oneself, and it’s another to hear that music brought to life by other musicians. It’s truly magical.
What does your family think of all this?
My family is very supportive, and very logical.  So I might hear, “I’m so impressed” followed by “I hope you have a plan B.”
Any advice you’d like to share with those trying to break into the music writing/recording business?
Learn the most you can about the music business. Not necessarily specifics, but at least get an idea of what you’re getting yourself into.
What’s next for Brittany?
Passing my classes and graduating college.

Anything you would like to add?
February 19th Sunday 7PM
CU Center, Concordia University Irvine (Seats over 250)
Admission is free
CD’s will be on sale for $15

DEBUT ALBUM (with my favorite lyric highlighted):
When Daisies Bloom
            “Mend my story, make my ending happy………..”
Tell Me I’m Beautiful
            “Gotta trust what I know, Make mistakes on my own….”
Hold Tight
            “You’re free to be, Don’t you hear me?........”
Freedom
“But if you listen and trust Me, then you would see, with My hand you are complete, You are free………”
Look At The Birds
            “Where’s that place that was safe for mistakes……..”
Hello Sun
            “Where’s that light of mine where I’m perfectly fine, Hello Sun…..”
Fort of Stone
            “He climbed over my walls and shook my senses………”
Waltz Out Of Time
            Two left fee, but he doesn’t care……….”
Blush
            “Three years later and I still blush when he says my name…..”

And my favorite:
“See I’ve forgotten, how to live,  how to live in color, With rainbows on my shoulders………”

That's a wrap........... thanks Brittany!
  # # #tfl

No comments:

Post a Comment