Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My DIRECTORIAL debut

My DIRECTORIAL debut

I may now add to my list of hyphenations, DIRECTOR (Stage)! 

Earlier this month my good friend Hettie Lynne Hurtes asked if I would be interested in directing, “Acting Of The Clones.”  This is a play that takes a look into future Hollywood written by Tom Misuraca and starring Hettie and her husband Randy Roberts.  I jumped at the opportunity.

Mid month Hettie, Randy and I met to read, block, work with props and get the piece performance ready.   I was very lucky because I was working with two very good actors that are not new to the stage and very open to ideas and change.

As we worked thru the morning I found myself really liking the role of director.  Not because of ego but more vantage point.  As an actor I’ve done drama, comedy and a bunch of musical theatre on stage. I’ve always been directed and now I’m on the flip side.  It was a wonderful afternoon full of personal discoveries and satisfaction knowing that my prior acting experiences equipped me to do the job. 

“ACTING OF THE CLONES” was performed at Drama West Fest at the Edendale Library in Los Angeles on January 28th.  It went splendidly and the playwright, who was present, was pleased…….phew!

I recommend every actor take a stab at directing.  It will open your eyes up to the bigger picture!   

# # #tfl

No comments:

Post a Comment